Advanced Platform Technology Center
About the APT Center
APT Center Family
Personnel associated with the Center include more than 50 investigators, plus engineers, clinical staff, trainees and support specialists in regulatory affairs, quality systems, and research administration. These individuals have successfully secured external scientific, development and translational research funding from private and public sources, including local and federal granting agencies and industrial partners. For fiscal year 2016, our active (yearly) portfolio is valued to be in excess of $13 million.
Investigators with the Center include multiple recipients of prestigious Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) and the NIH Director’s Innovation Award, inductees of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), and VA Career or Senior Career Research Scientist awardees. Clinician-researchers associated with the Center include some of the "Best Doctors in America" as named by Cleveland Magazine and Best Doctors, Inc. Investigators with the Center have also produced innumerable peer-reviewed articles and graced the covers of Science Translational Medicine, American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and IEEE Spectrum, have been invited speakers at national and international conferences, and have generated more than 60 invention disclosures, where over 15 are patent-pending concepts and prototypes.
Since our second competitive renewal in 2015, we have worked to implement new strategies to enhance communication, create opportunities for professional growth, expand our technical capabilities, and actively seek out and nurture new industrial interactions.
Sampling of APT Center Capabilities
- Circuit and software design - Digital and analog simulation and other development tools are available for integrated circuit layout, fabrication, and testing, as well as creation and verification of new software systems.
- Neural interfacing - We have more than 40 combined years of experience with devices that bridge the gap between neurobiology and engineering. We have the facilities, tools, and know-how to help design, develop, and test systems that communicate with and transfer to and from the peripheral or central nervous systems.
- Polymer and bioactive material development - New materials can be engineered on the molecular level to mimic biological functions or designed to interact and live with living tissue and biologic systems.
- Rapid prototyping - Computer controlled machining, 3D printing and additive manufacturing, and other processes reduce design to fabrication time.
- System validation and design control - We develop devices based on industry standard design controls.
- Professional engineering support and project management
- Administrative support for intellectual property protection, regulatory affairs, and grant and contract management.
Sampling of APT Center Technologies
- Biosignal acquisition and processing, including emerging new technologies for electromyography (EMG), electroencephalography (EEG) and electroneurography (ENG)
- Implantable sensing, recording, stimulating, and communication devices
- Pressure, volume, acceleration, and other physical or chemical sensors
- Portable computer controlled systems for surface and percutaneous stimulation
- Stimulating and recording electrodes